As a Bible believing Christian, I must take the Word of God as it reads regarding this question. So, let me lay it out as simply and plainly as possible straight from the Word.
1) Salvation is possible through, and only through, Jesus Christ:
“Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” (Acts 4:10,12)
2) Salvation is to be a saving from sin, not only from its penalty, but from its power as well:
“…And thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:21)
3) And “sin” is defined as the breaking of God’s moral law of 10 commandments:
“Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.” (1 John 3:4)
4) Disobedience in any regard, or the breaking of any one of the ten commandments, is defined as lawbreaking:
“For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.” (James 2:10,11)
5) Homosexuality is the transgression of the 7th commandment of God’s moral law of 10 commandments, which states, “Thou shalt not commit adultery.” Homosexuality is therefore “sin.” Homosexuality is one of 17 abominations listed in the Bible, and as such certainly leaves one being less than whole, needing divine intervention, divine therapy, divine reconditioning and re-creation.
“If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination…” (Leviticus 20:13; 18:22)
6) Homosexuality is identified as “vile affection,” the product of a “reprobate mind,” included in a long list of wicked behaviors worthy of the punishment of death:
“For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.” (Romans 1:26-32)
7) Deliverance from homosexuality must be preceded by an acknowledgement that homosexuality is “sin:”
“Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD. …Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings. (Jeremiah 3:13,22)
8) So, if we deny the sinfulness of homosexuality and reclassify it as “an acceptable alternative lifestyle,” then God Himself is powerless to deliver the homosexual—powerless to change one from “gay” to “straight.” And if God cannot work, then who can…?
“…The blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, [that homosexuality is ‘an acceptable alternative lifestyle’…] we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, [that our homosexuality is sin…] he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. [Even that of homosexuality…] If we say that we have not sinned, [by denying the sinfulness of homosexuality…] we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.” (1 John 1:7-10)
“So,” you ask, “Are you saying that the Buddhist, the Muslim, the Hindu, the Athiest, the Agnostic, the free thinker, etc., cannot be saved from his homosexuality unless he accepts Jesus Christ!? Why! That’s preposterous!”
Is it, Friend? It was a Christian pastor that said of me 10 years ago, “That kind can never change!” If we as Christians doubt that a homosexual can be changed by the omnipotent (all-powerful) Creator God of the universe, why would we think that a homosexual who acknowledges no god, or a lesser god, would be able to change and go straight!?
It is true, however, that homosexuals can, without Jesus Christ, suppress their behavior. Monasteries and convents of various religions around the world are filled with people who have taken vows of chastity, silence, poverty, etc. These monks and nuns suppress their natural desires and unnatural desires in things both good and bad with all the human strength they can muster. But none of this changes the heart. I fear that these poor souls are not familiar with the blessed words of Jesus:
“I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” (John 10:10)
Having squandered my youth and the prime of my life in the self-serving pit of the sin of homosexuality, I can personally testify to the accuracy of the words of the Apostle Paul:
“By the name of Jesus Christ…doth this man stand here before you whole. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” (Acts 4:10,12)
All Power to you!
“Victor J. Adamson”